If you’re struggling with your bunker play, try these simple, useful steps:
Place your ball position slightly forward of the centre
- The key to good bunker play is to take a consistent amount of sand
- This ball position will allow you to hit sand then ball
- Around two inches before the ball is perfect
Shift your weight so that it is 55% towards the left side
- This will allow you to have the downward strike needed to take some sand
Open the face, only slightly
- This will put more loft and bounce on the club
- It will also encourage a higher ball flight and reduce the risk of digging too much
Practice hitting the sand out of the bunker
- If the sand comes out and you have the 2 inches of sand behind the ball, chances are the ball will be out!
- Listen to the strike; it shouldn’t sound too deep. A nice, slow sweep through the sand should see you with a full follow through
Keep an eye out for more upcoming tips from the pros. Check out our ‘Golf pitch shot technique‘ tip
If you’re looking for a golf membership, you might want to know more about out Golf Academy.